OverDrive Media Console is unable to connect to the internet
If you go to download an audiobook to your Windows computer and get an error message that OverDrive Media Console doesn't have an internet connection, here are some things to try. (Instructions provided by OverDrive Support.)
If you are using Internet Explorer 9:
If you are having trouble downloading files using Internet Explorer 9, itcould be related to the 'Protected Mode' setting. Turning it off may resolve your issue, just follow the steps below:
1. Open Internet Explorer 9.
2. Go to Tools > Internet Options from the menu bar.
3. In the 'Security' tab, select the Internet zone.
4. Uncheck Enable Protected Mode, and then click Apply.
5. When finished, click OK.
6. Close and reopen Internet Explorer to apply.
Once completed, please try to download the selected title again.
If the above doesn't work, or you are not using Internet Explorer 9, try looking at these settings on your computer:
- Have you installed or uninstalled anything besides upgrading OverDrive Media Console (OMC)? If so, what has changed since your last download?
- Are you using a firewall? Windows has one built in as do several anti-virus suites (Norton, McAfee, AVG, etc.). A firewall could be blocking OverDrive Media Console's access to the Internet. Temporarily disable your firewall, then try downloading the file again. If you can download titles after disabling your firewall, an exception needs to be added for OMC in your firewall settings.
- Check to make sure that Windows Media Player (WMP) has a connection to the Internet.
- WMP 11 (and newer): Go to Organize > Options > Player tab. Check Connect to the Internet.
- WMP 10 (and older): Go to Tools > Options > Player Settings. Check Connect to the Internet.
- Run the 'Windows Media Player Security Upgrade' in OMC. If this is unsuccessful, try opening the following link using Internet Explorer: http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp
- Note: If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, you need to run Internet Explorer as an administrator. Click Start, type 'Internet Explorer', then right-click on Internet Explorer. Click Run as administrator. After that, paste the above link into the address bar of Internet Explorer.
- If you are using a 'web accelerator', please disable it.
- If you are using a pop-up blocker, please temporarily disable it. Then test OMC's connection. If you can download titles with your pop-up blocker disabled, an exception needs to be added for OMC in your pop-up blocker settings.
- Are you behind a proxy server? If so, you need to add authentication information to OMC by going to Tools > Options and entering your credentials in the provided fields.