Beaverton, OR 97005-9019
The Beaverton City Library was established in 1938 through the efforts of the Kiwanis Club. As the library grew, it was taken over in 1940 by the City. In 1958 the library moved into its first new facility at 5th St. and Hall Blvd., which underwent expansion 10 years later. The library moved to the Hall Street Station in 1980, and saw its circulation increase dramatically. In 1984 the library moved once again, this time to a former Albertson's grocery store at Allen and Hall Blvd. The library was 19,000 sq. ft., the largest library in the county. In 1998 voters approved the construction of a new 67,000 sq.ft. library at Fifth Ave. and Hall Blvd. The library moved into its new facility in September 2000, and it currently houses over 300,000 items.